Did you know that the County of San Diego is among a distinguished group of about 1,500 communities out of more than 22,000 communities participating in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) to have earned participation in the Community Rating System (CRS). The CRS program rewards communities that go beyond the minimum NFIP floodplain management requirements to lessen or eliminate flood exposure.
The County of San Diego encourages you to get familiar with the NFIP, the County’s areas at risk of flooding, and wants you to know:
- In recognition of the County’s strong floodplain management program, a 15% discount is applied to all flood insurance policies issued or renewed in the unincorporated areas of San Diego county for properties located in identified FEMA special flood hazard areas (SFHA).
- A 5% discount applies to flood insurance policies in areas outside identified FEMA SFHA.
- The County is available to assist you with the following:
- Determining if a property is located within a FEMA- or County-mapped flood zone.
- Identifying the FEMA flood zone, map panel number, map panel date, and regulatory base flood
- Furnishing FEMA Elevation Certificate, if available. The FEMA Elevation Certificate is an essential tool used to accurately rate flood insurance
- Assisting with regulatory questions pertaining to flood protection that may apply to the property in
- Providing information on FEMA’s mandatory flood insurance purchase requirements.
- Determining whether the property has ever suffered any flood
- Assistance with drainage and flooding problems, including site
For more information:
Background on the County's Floodplain Management Program
Over the past several years, the County of San Diego (County) has provided updates about the County's Floodplain Management program and their participation in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) Community Rating System (CRS). The CRS rewards communities that go beyond the minimum NFIP floodplain management requirements to lessen or eliminate flood exposure. One way communities benefit from CRS participation is through lower flood insurance premiums.
In May 2008, the County of San Diego joined a distinguished group of 1,500 communities out of the more than 22,000 communities participating in the NFIP to have been awarded participation in the CRS program. Each year since, the County of San Diego has implemented additional programs aimed at reducing flood risks. These additional programs have earned further reductions in flood insurance premiums for business owners and residents of the County. At present, a 15-percent discount is applied to all flood insurance policies issued or renewed in Special Flood Hazard Areas (SFHA) within the unincorporated areas of San Diego County.
The CRS credits community programs that advise people about flood hazards, flood insurance, and ways to reduce flood damage. Beginning In 2008 and yearly since, the County has sent a flood-protection flyer to all County residents determined to be living in a FEMA designated SFHA. The flyer discusses flood protection activities residents can take to protect their property from flood damage. The County also receives CRS credit for reaching out to real estate agents, mortgage lenders, and insurance companies annually to notify them of the flood hazard information assistance we offer to businesses and residents. These services include:
- Public assistance with inquiries about the flood zones and floodplains shown on the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) flood maps and site-specific flood/flood-related data, such as flood elevations and data on historical flooding in the neighborhood, so inquirers can relate the flood threat to their property.
- For applicable properties, County staff can provide inquirers with a copy of the completed FEMA Elevation Certificate reflecting the lowest floor elevation of the building and the base flood elevation determined at the building The FEMA Elevation Certificate is an essential tool used to accurately rate flood insurance policies.
- The County also recommends that residents in flood-prone areas purchase flood
- Flood Protection Assistance - The County aids residents and business owners with drainage and flooding problems. This includes making site visits to review drainage and flooding problems originating from a public facility and recommending reference
The County currently has a "Class 7" CRS rating which provides a 15% rate reduction on insurance policies. Premium discounts of up to 45% are possible under the CRS!
County staff are available for assistance with flood hazard information including basic and additional FIRM (Flood Insurance Rate Map) information, flood depths, and historical flood information. Our address is 5510 Overland Avenue, Suite 410, San Diego, CA 92123. We continue to look for new opportunities to improve our CRS Class and provide more reductions on flood insurance rates.
For more information on how this can benefit you and your clients please see the materials linked below:
Borrego Springs Flood Map and Guidelines
"Protect Your Property" Digital Pamphlet
General Flood Insurance Flyer